The voluntary sector has seen an increase in funding. We will look at the framework conditions and funding basis for voluntary organisations in various fields of varying economic size and geographical affiliation.
Economic increase in the voluntary sector
Voluntary organisations and the voluntary sector have had an economic increase if you look at total operating costs and revenues. Government support is an important resource for voluntary organisations, which have a place in the state budget and receive proceeds from Norsk Tipping, the state-owned gaming company. In addition, organisations receive public support from municipalities and county authorities.
More sources of income than government support
The voluntary policy states that the voluntary sector must have more income than the funding that comes from the public sector, in order to safeguard the sector's independent position. This is done through collaboration with the business community through pro bono work and monetary donations such as sponsorship through specific projects. Fundraising is also a source of income, and it is therefore important for the organisations to strengthen their efforts to recruit sponsors and regular donors.
Foundations are a growing source of income for organisations. There has been an increase in the number of money-distributing foundations, which have also become an important part of the voluntary sector.
Framework conditions and the funding basis for voluntary organisations
During this research period, there is a need for increased insight into framework conditions and the funding basis for voluntary organisations, teams and associations, and to examine various fields of varying economic size and geographical affiliation.
- There is a need to shed light on cash flows in the voluntary sector, and examine which sources of income and costs contribute to driving the economic growth of the sector, and how the various sources interact.
- How changes in the state's framework conditions contribute to strengthening the organisations' freedom of manoeuvre, and how does this apply to different categories of organisations.
- What is the significance of tax exemptions, exemption from employer's contribution, exemption from taxable donations, etc. for the organisations as a whole, and in relation to types of organisations?
- What are the key drivers and barriers to increased business support for NGOs?
- To what extent do municipalities have a voluntary policy and a strategy for distribution of grants to voluntary organisations?