Elites and society
Elite unity and elite/mass correspondence or widended gaps?
A decade ago the Norwegian Leadership Study 2000, in combination with the Citizenship study from the same year, demonstrated that elites in Norway supported democracy and democratic institutions, exhibited shared trust in central institutions, and rallied behind significant compromises. Available data at the time also testified a strong popular adherence to the welfare state based upon public services.
In light of significant changes that have taken place during the latest decade, i.e. the financial crisis, increased globalization, the EU crisis, climate changes, growing migration, etc. we asked whether elite unity still is prevalent and whether a correspondence between elite and mass attitudes still is present.
We focused upon three sets of questions:
- Elite integration; studying to what extent the various sector elites are forming a more or less unified group
- Social distance between elites and population, in attitudes and reciprocal perceptions
- Elite attitudes toeards gender equality and diversity
Conducted survey with 1351 Norwegian Top Leaders in 2015
Collected and updated data on Norwegian parliamentarians, from the years 2001-2013, for the European MP database EASE CUBE
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2018). En rask eller lang og kronglete vei til topps? Næringslivslederes karriereforløp. Søkelys på arbeidslivet. 35, s 96- 110
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2017). Rise and fall of elites: Professionals as movers?. European Societies: The Official Journal of the European Sociological Association.
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2017). Elite ambiguity towards internationalization? The case of Norway. Corvinus journal of sociology and social policy. 8, s 39- 54
- Aagoth Elise Lossius Storvik & Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2016). Included, but still not equal? Gender segregation at quota regulated boards. Corporate Board: role, duties and composition. 12, s 35- 45
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2016). Элиты и профессионалы/Elites and professions. Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya. 60, s 71- 83
- Aagoth Elise Lossius Storvik & Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2015). Selskapsdamer og selskapsløver. Kjønnssegregering i allmennaksjeselskapenes styrer?, In Hilde Bjørkhaug; Gry Agnete Alsos; Elisabet Ljunggren & Agnes Bolsø (ed.), Kjønn og næringsliv i Norge. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. ISBN 978-82-02-48230-5. Kapittel 6. s 109 - 131
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2017). Fortsatt elite-støtte til den norske modellen?. Stat og styring. 27, s 38- 41
- Trygve Jens Gulbrandsen (2015). Elites and professions.